The skin is one of the largest organs and yet I personally neglect a large percentage of it when it comes to skincare (time spent on my face to body ratio is heavily skewed). Since I heard about this phenomenon I’ve incorporated it into my morning routine and the results are impressive. Anyone I’ve ever known will testify that I’m not a morning person but I’ve found a quick dry brush before my morning shower leaves me feeling a lot more alert, and somehow warmer (weirdly, I’ve realized I’m a very cold person in the morning… must be something to do with my rubbish circulation).
Dry brushing is invigorating, good for health and offers some great beauty benefits. And with the summer about to commence , now’s a great time to give it a try as we get ready to bare our skin! Here are 6 very appealing benefits…
- Stimulates Lymphatic System:Dry brushing offers the ultimate detoxification via lymphatic drainage, resulting in a happier immune system and body in general.
- Exfoliation:A quick and easy way to remove dead, dry skin cells, allowing skin to breathe. It improves the rate of cell renewal and the overall appearance of skin - just make sure you shower after you’ve brushed all those dry skin cells off.
- Increased Circulation:Another great way to detoxify the body, tighten skin, invigorate and improve overall health.
- Reduces Cellulite:Dry brushing is said to remove toxins and helps break down stubborn fat deposits, redistributing them more evenly, resulting in the reduced appearance of cellulite.
- Stress Relief:In the same way self massage works, dry brushing can be meditative, reducing muscle tension and calming the mind, therefore offering stress relief.
- Regulates Digestion, Kidney Function and Hormones:Dry brushing offers very gentle internal massage, stimulating glands responsible for hormone production and improving the function of your inner organs. If the skin can’t breathe, it relies on organs such as the liver and kidneys to compensate, which may result in too much stress being put on said organs. It’s therefore important to unclog pores and allow skin to be fully functional in maintaining the body’s equilibrium.
On dry skin, starting at your ankles, take your body brush in long sweeping motions towards your heart. Do the same with arms, stomach, shoulders and voila. So simple, there’s no excuse not to try it!
So overall dry brushing offers a cheap and easy way to improve the appearance of skin as well as detoxify the whole body. Have you tried dry brushing? If you haven’t yet, maybe now’s the time to try it out before the summer starts…